Friday, August 11, 2006

Tara, a sweet dog

On July 19, we lost our sweet old English Setter, Tara. She was 14-1/2 years old and suffering from lymphoma. Our wonderful vet Dennis and his wife Marj came to our house to ease Tara gently from this world.

Tara was my mother's dog, the fifth in a beloved line of English Setters. Sadly, my Mum died in 1997, while Tara was still quite young. We jokingly called Tara "our inheritance." For nine years, she was "our" dog, although I always secretly suspected she was channelling my mother's spirit. When she was good, she was very very good, but when she was bad, she was... demonic! :) But always very, very adorable and very, very loving and very, very sweet-natured. We miss her more than we can say. I feel quite certain that she and my Mum are reunited up there somewhere, plotting new ways to haunt me.

Cutest little puppy from hell. My Mum's favourite picture of her. She's trying to escape under the garden gate.


Tara and me, snuggling in May 1992.


Tara and me, snuggling in June 2005.


2 comments:

  1. Miss Lips was certainly a beautiful baby - and my goodness, girl, you were just a pup yourself!!

    Everyone who knew Tara through your stories will miss her, but I believe she's with your Mum now, and that's where she can rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie Miss Tara was! And yes, I'm sure she is up there plotting new ways to haunt you!! We'll all miss her...I only wish I could have met her in the fur!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!