Sunday, June 08, 2008

The recipe

So as not to be forever labelled a "vile fiend" by Happy Wombat Boy, here is the recipe for the muffin featured in the previous post. Incidentally, I ate the last one before bedtime last night.

Buy the cookbook. It's very good!


Chocolate cinnamon cream cheese muffins
from 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody

1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 oz cream cheese, cut up (little cubes are good)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

-Preheat oven to 375 F
-Muffin tin, greased or paper-lined

1. In a large mixer bowl, beat together butter, sugar, baking powder and salt until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
2. In another bowl, mix together flour and cinnamon. Slowly stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened and blended. Do not overmix. Fold in melted chocolate just until blended.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling cups two-thirds full. Press pieces of cream cheese into top of batter in each cup. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Much better. I'm not sure that I'll get around to trying them before next week however. So I guess you can stop avaunting and avasting till then. And if they are as good as you claim, then I will happily retract the claim of vile fiend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I tried them for friends. Not the greatest hit. They weren't bad, but I don't think that they were that good, either.

    So, when I took my niece and nephew to the Islands on Friday, instead of bringing chocolate muffins I made an apple-based walnut and cranberry spice bar. Need the recipe?

    And I'm willing to downgrade the claim from vile fiend to just an ordinary one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yes please, recipe. And send me your unused muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Frieda's Number 89" (from Jean Paré's 150 Delicious Squares)

    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 sour cream
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped cranberries (fresh or frozen)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup peeled, cored and chopped apple

    --> Topping
    1 tbsp granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon


    Beat butter, sugars and egg together in a bowl. Add vanilla and sour cream. Mix. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add cranberries, walnuts and apple. Mix well. Spread in greased 9x9 pan. Sprinkle topping over batter and bake in 350 degree F (175 deg C) oven for about 30 minutes. Cut into 36 squares.


    ----------------------------------

    Notes: I've never put in sour cream. Sometimes I use yoghurt, but usually I put in apple sauce. And I cut the sugar down, but not by too much or you start affecting texture. Maybe from a cup to 2/3 cup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so far three people I know have made the muffins. Two were ecstatic, one was not. Anybody else try them yet?

    Now I need to go make HWB's recipe. MMmmmmmMMMmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!