Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winter wanderings

We've had a pretty mild winter overall, with not a lot of snow, but as you can see we've got enough to cover the ground, and I snowshoe with the dogs most days. Here are a few pics.


Tristan says, "What are you sniffing, Sophie?"


"Hmm... I'll check it out myself." Sophie likes to hunt meadow voles under the snow. Fortunately she doesn't catch them too often!


Two happy canines wandering through the woodlot.


Animals tracks through the woods (not from the dogs!)


Bracket fungi on a stump.


I wonder who lives down the hole at the base of this tree?


And who has been using THIS hole in the snow?

My friend Ronna has been following the bunny action (get your mind out of the gutter! I'm talking lagomorphs, not pin-ups!) in her woods and has a nice post on her blog about that. It's a bunny-rich year (including snowshoe hares), which explains the increased sighting of coyotes, not to mention my sighting of that freaking moronic coyote-hunter in my woodlot.

Has somebody been using this brush pile for shelter?


Ronna was also talking to me about how their diet makes for bright orange bunny-urine. I found lots of that, and lots of bunny poops!

And on that note, I leave you to your weekend. Have a good one.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely. So you can have a long walk without leaving your farm?
    As you could tell the first two pics let the corners of my mouth start an expedition to ther ear-lobes. :)

    Have a nice weekend, too, Knatolee. Who's going to prepare tomorrow's breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I envy you Knatolee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely snowy photos. I wish we had snow instead of rain. Everything looks so pretty. We have jack rabbits that show up after it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean, you do have a way with English. "let the corners of my mouth start an expedition to their ear-lobes", I love that. Yes, we are fortunate enough to have 86 acres, which is wonderful for walking.

    I THINK Gordon is cooking breakfast tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

    Jams, I feel pretty lucky to live here. Makes me happy!

    Callie, we haven't had a lot of snow this winter (by our standards) but at least it hasn't been raining! Hope it dries up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Knatolee. I deleted my first comment. I was going on, and on, and on. You brought back wonderful memories. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was alot of bunny poop! Funny, I've been seeing lots of bunnies in my woods, too. Which brought on lots of red foxes (no coyotes here, at least!)...
    - Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Claudia, I love your stories. Don't delete!But glad I brought back memories. I love snowshoeing, and I only took it up three years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, that's great you see foxes (so long as they stay away from your chickens!) I see their tracks in the snow a lot, but have only seen one since we moved here. My hubby sees them more often, driving home at night.

    It's a bunny explosion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so nice, Knatolee. Sometimes I feel I'm taking over a friend's blog to tell my stories. The fact is that if I had a blog I wouldn't know what to write. I'm just inspired by posts which bring back memories. Your present lifestyle is often similar to my long ago experiences. It's lovely to read you. Thank you for sharing and for your great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!