Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Cousin power!


Steve and me


My favourite cousin came to visit on the weekend. Steve's daughter goes to the University of Ottawa, so anytime he's in town to drop her off or pick her up, he comes to stay the night with us. We went out Sunday night for dinner and beer at Jack's Pub in Williamstown and had a great evening. I was the designated driver, so no beer for me, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I'm the shame of my Irish family!

Speaking of Williamstown, if you are looking for rare and special books, check out the website of our friend David, who lives in Williamstown and runs a book-selling business from his home: 


He ships all over the world! And he does it from one of the oldest surviving buildings in Ontario,  Sir John Johnson House:

"We operate from the historic 1784 U E Loyalist village of Williamstown, Ontario, named for Sir William Johnson of New York and from the historic 1784 house of David Thompson, mapmaker of the North West Company and of the Rev John Bethune of Skye, chaplain to the Loyalist regiments of the Revolutionary War in America. Our interests and specialities relate to this historical period."

Check out David's website!

 But I digress. Back to Steve. When I was a young teen, and Steve was going through a permed-hair-and-moustache phase, I thought he looked just like Tom Selleck. He seemed impossibly cool! Steve is six years older than me, so we weren't close as kids. Instead, I hung around with his younger brothers and admired him from afar. His brothers and I used to listen to Steve's Alice Cooper records. As I recall, we were not supposed to be touching Steve's vinyl collection, and he was not pleased to find us doing so. But Steve's musical influence led me to become a member of the Alice Cooper Fan Club at the ripe old age of ten. 

About eight years ago, Steve's son started his first year at Dalhousie University. Gordon and I were living in Nova Scotia at the time, so Steve asked if they could stay with us while Steve got his son all set up  in Halifax. A six-year age gap seems less significant when you are in your 30s and 40s. We hit it off and really enjoyed each other's company. He feels like the big brother I never had but always wanted.

Now we see each other a couple of times a year, and it's always fun.


Our dogs and cats love Steve too. He has a very gentle, nice way with animals and they just think he's the greatest thing since the invention of catnip and dog cookies.As you can see, Gordon likes him too!




We tease him about the old man car he drives, but I am secretly envious. You could fit two dead mobsters in the trunk of it.

Spending time with my cousin was a nice way to end the summer.


PS: Our Dad were brothers, and are now buried side by side.


10 comments:

  1. He's a handsome one and my hubby would love that car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 am

    Oh, I love this! What a difference a few years made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a bit confused in my old age. Did you say your cousin carried two dead mobsters in the trunk of his big car? Is Gordon working for the mob now? That shake-hand was more than just friendly. It looked like a pact!

    Anyhow, I love those warm (in-between marriages and funerals) family encounters. A cousin-friend is very special and worth un pesant d'or in good and bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like a great guy to have for a surrogate big bro Knat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:25 pm

    I love that image where your dear dog just has to look away at the sight of two grown men having a cuddle :) (especially grown men in shorts having a cuddle... It's just wrong...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you were able to reconnect with your cousin and with his daughter at Ottawa U I'm sure your visits will increase. Great photos.

    P.S. Just curious, do you personally know any mobsters? Are you having trouble with them? I'm sure someone in your area has a tree splitter or whatever that thing was in FARGO. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I love that car! :) It's in amazing shape. Steve bought it from a friend of his Dad's at the home they were living in. The trunk is cavernous.

    Merrily, we pretty much ignored each other growing up, because the age gap seemed to big. Now he's my link to the rest of the fmaily.

    Claude, I specifically told Gordon NOT to work for the mob, but he never listens to me! ;) Cousin-friends are great, especially when you are an only child like me.

    Jams, he's just the nicest guy.

    Andrew, LOL!! But you're right. Tristan is APPALLED.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanilla Bean, that Fargo scene is still burned into my brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:51 pm

    I'm not a fan of mobsters so I'm totally cool with your cousin disposing of the evidence. Just a word of caution however: the smell of dead bodies is a bi*** to remove from one's trunk. At least that's what I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use Odormute to remove the smell of cat pee. I wonder if there is a dead mobster equivalent? "Don Away" or "Godfather Begone" perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!