Friday, June 22, 2012

Deer and heat and bees and wheat!


First...


...a lovely little honeybee on clover. Make lots of honey, girl!

And...


...the field of wheat in our front fields is looking quite beautiful.


And what's this?


Look down and to the right of the power pole in the centre. See the brownish spot?



It's a buck, having a rest next to our laneway in the stinking hot weather this week. My UPS guy told me it was a buck. He hunts moose, but he knows his deer! This buck has been hanging around our wheat field for two weeks now. Here he's lying in some wheat from the field next door. That land doesn't belong to us. The farmer had it planted in wheat last year. This year he used Round-up to nuke the wheat the grew up from last year's seed and planted more godforsaken soybeans. But he is always careful not to get the grass that runs along our laneway, and he left a buffer strip of wheat too, which was very nice of him. The deer loves it in there.



Peek-a-boo!


I see you!


Definitely a White-tailed deer. I'm guessing our UPS guy knew he was a buck because of his large size, since he has no antlers right now.

Thanks for all the great comments you have been leaving me! I need to catch up on responding to them, and also on my blog reading. I've been busy getting ready for our Art Fayre show at the Glengarry Pioneer Museum in Dunvegan this weekend. It's Saturday and Sunday from 12pm - 4 pm. Lots of beautiful art, and we are celebrating the museum's 50th anniversary this year. If you're in the area, please drop in! It's about an hour east of Montreal and an hour west of Ottawa, and about the same north of the Cornwall border crossing. More details on our blog, plus lots of artist profiles (including mine!) Have a great weekend!


10 comments:

  1. Very interesting to watch the deer perform. Here they make a good picture when they're in the canola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that must be so pretty with all the yellow flowers!

      Delete
  2. I hope the deer is able to cool off down in the wheat field. It must be hard for large animals to escape it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard on them when it's so stinking hot. Luckily things have cooled down quite a lot now.

      Delete
  3. What a handsome dear. I hope you have a wonderful Art Fayre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Elaine! I hope you are working on a duck name! :)

      Delete
  4. Poor guy, must be tough in this heat,but a snooze in the cool wheat probably helped.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've posted about your Art Fayre before, haven't you? I'll look forward to photos.

    Shouldn't Buck be out looking for a Mrs.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! This is the fourth year I've participated! It went well today and the weather was perfect!
      And yes, you'd think he'd be looking for a lady friend. :)

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!