Saturday, February 22, 2014

New chicks on the block

As well as adopting a pig (Ophelia is coming home today. Pictures later!) we also took in five rescue chickens from the OSPCA. Here are four of them:


Julie in front, LeMay with the black speckles, and Carol is the big white one, and Debbie is the one hiding under the others. They are all named after shelter workers. :)


And Bonnie, who likes to be held!


After their brief quarantine, Bonnie was the first one to come out and integrate.


Here she is hanging with her new friend Becky, in our lovely redneck coop. Panelling, foil insulation, cardboard, a tarp... Martha Steward would not approve!

The new chickens are all a little thin, as they were found in a barn with no food, water or warmth. But they otherwise seem very healthy, so I am working on getting them fattened up a big.
Off to pick up Ophelia the pig.

17 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous looking girls...ooh ooh....going to get Ophelia!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the girls were rescued and they found you :) I just LOVE Becky!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you adopt me? Oh, wait! Can you buy a big farm in way below the snow line in Southern Spain? Then... can you adopt me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, sure Mitchell! Do you want to sleep with the chickens or the pig? :)

      Delete
    2. You know, I think I'd get in trouble no matter how I answered that.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful blog . I found you via Deb at Just Cats . Hello from a country Valley village in Southwestern Ontario . I am a former farmer born and raised . I love animals, nature and photography . I am now following your blog and looking forward to what goes on in your neck of the woods . Taking in the animals that you do is wonderful thank you for that . Thanks for sharing and wonderful photos . Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for visiting! Deb is the best.

      The animals give us so much happiness. It's a pleasure to take them in.

      Delete
  5. So cute, I can so Bonnie's personality showing through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a real cutie. I really like her!

      Delete
  6. It's amusing that you name your chickens. We would have about a 100 chickens on the farm and they were all white so you couldn't tell one from the other. Besides how could we come up with 100 names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we have 27 chickens (!), 14 ducks, and 3 guinea fowl, it's getting harder. I am falling behind on the naming, but I will catch up! I can tell them all apart, that's for sure. Gordon, on the other hand, has no clue who any of them are except for the roosters and Charlotte!

      Delete
  7. Those new chickens are in good hands. They'll be plump, healthy, and happy in no time under your care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see 'em get fat and sassy! Bless you for adopting them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just given 2 dozen fresh eggs and envy all of you with chickens! You are just wonderful taking in all these animals--makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing your chicks makes me miss mine so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!