Thursday, April 17, 2014

A very sad day for us here


This morning, we had to have our beautiful dog Sophie put to sleep. 

I took her into the vet today because she had been lame on her front left leg, and yesterday I knew she really wasn't well. We just thought it was a muscle or ligament problem, but it turned out to be exactly what Tristan had last August: hemangiosarcoma.

Except Tristan had his spleen and a huge tumour removed, and is still with us (on borrowed time.) Sophie, however, had three huge tumours on her liver, plus a scattering of small ones, plus a large metastasis on her shoulder (which was causing the limping.) She was already anemic and had a low platelet count due to internal bleeding. Fortunately, because of Tristan's cancer, I am well-read on the topic of this disease and knew the prognosis was terrible. Sophie was going to bleed out and die, probably very soon. We might have been able to bring her home for a day but we didn't want to risk having her die an agonizing death here, particularly as she was already bleeding internally and it was just a matter of time.

Luckily I managed to get ahold of Gordon, who was working in the courthouse just a few blocks away. He came, we said our good-byes, and were with Sophie as she passed peacefully. She was 11-1/2 years old. 

It was especiallly shocking because for months, we have been preparing ourselves to lose Tristan (even with his surgery, his prognosis was not good.) Sophie has always been our healthy dog: no arthritis, no problems, no nothing. Instead today we found ourselves saying good-bye to Sophie. And my vet has never before had clients with two dogs suffering from hemangiosarcoma at the same time. Very awful luck.

The day before we left on vacation, I took her and Tristan for a long walk in the snow. She was running and happy and looked as fit as could be. Fewer than three weeks later, she's gone.


Good bye, darling Sophie. You were always such a good girl. The best! We miss you so much. I hope you are in some kind of doggy heaven with your former master, who loved you and Tristan so much, he (at the last minute) decided not to take you with him when he committed suicide in 2007. Because of that, we had 6-1/2  truly wonderful years with you. 

I will miss you so, my devoted friend and walking buddy. Wherever your little doggy spirit resides, I hope you are happy.

31 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry,Natalie and Gordon...so sorry.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear God! I have tears in my eyes. This was so unexpected! My heart goes out to you and Gordon!
    Beautiful Sphie, enjoy heaven sweet girl.

    Love, ♥♥♥
    Ani

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my heart is broken for you and Gordon, Natalie, but I also keep thinking of what a lucky dog she was to have been so loved. She had the best life with you; she knew she was cherished, she had freedom to run, another dog to chum with & the best care a dog could ask for. Be comforted knowing this and soon memories of this lovely dog will bring a smile to your face. She'll be watching over you now from her resting place. Farewell dear Sophie. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Natalie, so very sorry. Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dog. My heart goes out to you. It's always hard to lose a loved companion. Deb has expressed it better than I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad, but that's the price of the friendship. Take care and dwell on the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so bad. I just loved Sophie. She will be missed. I miss her already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is not easy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. BIG GENTLE HUGS. SO DEEPLY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The poem is by Kipling
    Hope it helps xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for you and Gordon, Natalie. After doing some reading, I strongly suspect that's what Tux's growth was (because of the cost, we didn't have it sent away, but the Vet did say if it was cancer, he's likely to get more).
    I think Sophie showed no signs because she knew you were already worried about Tristan. And she gave you that last wonderful walk for memories, and waited until you came home so you could say good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw the title, my first thought was Tristan. I'm so sorry about Sophie. What a sweet, sweet face.
    And John's right - the longer we have them the harder it is and the more we believe they'll be with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shock. Your girl and your grief, but we're all stopped short by the sudden and senseless event. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That beautiful, trusting face speaks volumes about Sophie's devotion to you. I'm so glad that Gordon was available so you could both say your goodbyes and not make her suffer one minute longer than she had to. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am so sorry for your loss . Sometimes it is the best thing to do for them so they do not suffer all though very hard for us to have to do regardless . She will be missed but not forgotten !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry. You loved Sophie so much. Your readers loved her from afar, delighting in all the Sophie photos and stories. I didn't know about the tragic fate of her former owner, but I'm glad she and Tristan found a happy home with you and Gordon.

    Rest in peace, Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My warmest hugs to you and Gordon; I know Sophie will leave a large hole in your heart for a long while. I am so sorry, and I'm thinking of you. xx Trish

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry Natalie and Gordon. Sophie was a joyous girl who loved being a member in your family as much as you loved her sweet presence in your lives and home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry to hear that you lost one of the best puppies in the world. They become very important in our lives and it's hard to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry Natalie. I came in to check to see if there were piglets. Totally wasn't expecting to hear this, so I'm in tears too. Sophie will definitely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear, this is awful. I dread anything happening to my two, so I can understand how you feel. Best wishes, Cro x.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You will suffer through tough times now, but please remember that you were her saviors and very kind to her....such wonderful animal tenders.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous12:01 am

    I, too, expected it to be Tristan when I read the post title. Oh, Natalie (and Gordon), I am truly sorry. My heart breaks for you both. Sophie had the best mum and dad a doggie could ask for. Sending loving thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am crying, We are so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We read your blog on Good Friday morning, a gray and bleak day here in Germany, fitting the sad news about Sophie. We have fond memories of Sophie and her alligator, and her silent (but quite effective) begging under the table. We hope all the love being sent your way will help ease the pain of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I, too, am sorry for your loss, Natalie. But you gave Sophie 6 1/2 extra years of love... and I expect she gave you so much more. Leaving a legacy of love is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dear, how shocking, how sad. I am so sorry to be reading this. It is SO hard to lose a member of the family, especially when it comes on suddenly. I am sending biggest hugs. You posted a beautiful tribute to Sophie. She was a wonderful and well-loved dog.
    Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG- I'm so sorry to hear this! What shocking news, so unexpected! She had the best time with you, and I loved reading about her and Tristan.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh , nooz !
    Me and my mom-person are so sorry for your loss !
    Sending lots of (((purrs))) and huggies

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a little late with my sympathy but I'm sure it is all still as raw for you. In a way, I'm glad that you didn't know you would lose her until the very end. It makes the decision so much easier and your memories are all of the loving, running, duck herding girl.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My heart is breaking. I fell in love with Sophie through your stories and photos. She was lucky to have you all and you all were lucky to have her. Thanks so much for sharing her with all of us and for giving her such a wonderful life. I'm sending gigantic hugs from Spain; I recently read you have to hold them for 20 seconds to really make them work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!