Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Little porkers!

And here's the reason I spend all my spare time in the barn...


They are now 2-1/2 weeks old and fattening up like crazy! Some of the bold ones run out the open door and investigate the barn now. I keep an eye on them while they do that.



Yes, I have pink coveralls.


I am definitely keeping this one. She's temporarily named Little Miss Pink Nose. She is the boldest of them all and...


...will actually stretch out on my lap. Today she fell asleep there while I was giving her a chin rub!


EVERYBODY wants to visit the piglets. Yesterday my friend brought her three daughters over. They had a great time bonding with the piglets and Ashley took a great group photo of our little porkers...


Little Miss Pink Nose, front and centre!


I'm pretty sure I have a home for at least one of them (after they are weaned, at around 8 weeks of age). We would like to keep three or four of the seven. We're planning on building a whole new pig enclosure with a fenced run, so they can go outside whenever they want, but be locked up and safe from predators at night. It never ends around here...

21 comments:

  1. Little Miss Pink Nose is so precocious! Her gaze is so fixed. If she were a dog, she'd be a Westie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. have they grown. They are so cute and if I lived closer I'd be popping in for some 'up close and personal with the piggies' moments.I'm glad some will stay with mom. That's always so much easier on them. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They're growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never ends but it's always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: I meant ask how Mother Ophelia is looking these days? Is she still the porcine all-you-can-drink milk bar?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, why am I not surprised that you'll be building a porcine paradise? I'd be there all day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here again some names: Wurst-Willie, Riblets -Sue, Pork in a blanket, HAM-let, BACONator, Roasted Leg and Breaded Kotelett come to my mind.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can tell the boys faces from the girls now they have grown a bit....a bit?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so cute--I'd be out in the barn all the time, too! I don't know if I'd be able to let any of them go to new homes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your last paragraph was so inevitable, Knatolee. You need a bigger header, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They have obviously forgiven you for that whole episode with the vet. Pink nose is especially adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The do look so sweet, but increasingly, and disturbingy, well... tasty too. Adult pigs don't look tasty at all. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Piglets are my all time favourite baby animal, they're just the cutest!
    Sorry I've not commented on your posts for a long time but I've had computer problems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of them has got to be named Miss Peggy :)
    Have they met the chickens yet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very responsible animal owners, but what will they do in the long Canadian winters? We always butchered our chickens and pigs and a steer or two in the Fall to put in the freezer for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They do okay in winter! We are going to build a new, draft-free shelter for them, plus a fenced area of pasture. Some supplemental heat (probably heating mats) and a ton of straw to burrow into!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stayed away from blogs (including my own) for several months. But something tells me it's time to get back into the fray. Your delightful photo essays are a part of that motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are still Squeeeee cute :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so cute! Have a nice week.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!