Sunday, May 11, 2014

Piggy check-in...

Sorry guys, it was another nutty week and I wasn't posting or reading enough. I can't remember if I posted this already, but here's how you hypnotize a piglet...


Da belly rubz!!

We sadly lost our little runt piglet on Friday. He started panting a bit late Tuesday, so I had the "pig vet" come by on Weds. As I feared, it was pneumonia. The little guy got a shot of antibiotics and we were hopeful, but alas on Friday he started to fade. The vet suggested waiting a little longer as the antiobiotics take 3 - 5 days to work, but Runty passed on Friday night. Right as he died, a big thunderstorm erupted. It was quite amazing, like he had something to say right as he was going. We of course were already attached to him, our smallest piglet (little black fellow.)

Luckily the other six are fat and healthy and doing great, and going outside!


Ophelia and two girls, catching some rays.





Ophelia and her "mini-me"!


What a mess! But she was happy after digging in the dirt and straw. She is such a great pig.


And guess what my Mother's Day gift was? A cat! He showed up in our barn last night. SIGH. He's about 6 - 7 months old, a creamy orange tabby with beautiful bronze eyes. Very affectionate. I'm sure he was dumped. :( We are going to have to figure this out but I'll take him to the vet this week for neutering and vaccines. Right now he's still in residence in the barn, but he already comes when I call him. He needs a name. Pics to follow. Seriously, it NEVER ENDS AROUND HERE!!!


And finally, video!



PS: Ophelia's hooves need trimming but I'm going to wait until the piglets are a bit bigger before I inflict THAT trauma on her!!!

18 comments:

  1. RIS poor little black piglet :(
    That one little pink dude is so naughty keep bugging that little black one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I messed up! I meant to say RIP to the little black Piglet! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought I would say this: those pigs are CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That side view of the new mother. She's not exactly regained her slim figure yet has she? Or perhaps that is the slim figure for a pot-bellied pig.

    Re Cat: I await pictures. Do you think some people dump unwanted cats at your place on purpose. Do others around you get such "gifts"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite a snout Ophelia has! The head-on camera angle in the snout-shot is more flattering to her than the side-view, I quite agree with Andrew!

      And the video is great! Was that Little Miss Pink Nose fighting over the cardboard? So precocious!

      Delete
  5. Well, these critters really know who to pick when they need somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the piglet who passed away. Keep us posted on the new cat.

    That pink piglet just wouldn't leave the black one alone in that video! Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're sad to hear about the little runt. We think those piglets need some toys ;-)

    Can't wait to see your Mother's Day gift. You bet someone probably dumped him...people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can't get over how quickly those wee piggies are growing!
    Sorry about the runty boy.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I´m sad... so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw. Piglets seem to go down so fast when they get sick. So, now you have another cat? I think that gives you one more than me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how generous the universe is in bestowing cats upon us--even when we don't know we need another one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ophelia has to be the luckiest pig in the world. No wonder she looks so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poor black piglet in the video is being tormented by the other. I wonder what a pig psychologist would say about that??
    My mom had a pet pig when she was younger and said that he followed her everywhere and would get quite upset if he could not get to her. Funny stories. I love reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Natalie! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer my question I have about your blog! Please email me whenever you get a free moment at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about the little runt. And do you think that pink piggie is picking on the black one because he's a different color? Those piglets are very cute - I love seeing them romp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I've said, I don't know how you get anything done. I would spend my entire day sitting in the dirt with the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe the gypsies put a sign on a tree at the end of your drive that says "Send us you halt and you lame and unwanted animals."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!