Monday, October 20, 2014

New additions to the cast of characters...

Well, two more lovely girl-cats will be joining Redford and Missy in the barn this Friday. Meet Mootie and Pip!


Mootie





Pip


Yesterday I got a message from my lovely friend Deb over at Just Cats. A client of hers has to move from her home for health reasons, and give up her two cats. Mootie is about 7, Pip about 1-1/2. Poor Mootie languished at the shelter for five months before being adopted by her lovely current owner. Pip showed up of her own accord.

But now their owner must move in with friends, and she cannot take the cats. Deb agreed to help her find them a home, and yesterday she asked if we would consider taking these two on as barn cats, as they currently spend most of their time outside anyway, and are magnificent mousers.

Gordon and I read Deb's message, took one look at each other, and agreed they should become part of our kitty family.


When Mootie was at the shelter, they thought she was 12 years old due to the state of her gums and teeth. After she was adopted, she ended up having ALL of her teeth pulled! And they realized she was quite a bit younger than initially thought.

Not surprisingly, she became much happier and more playful once she wasn't dealing with a terrible gum infection!

You can read Deb's posts about them here and here.

We are really happy that we are able to take in these two, and I hope they will enjoy life in the barn. We are working on setting up warm places in the barn for winter, with heaters and heated mats and whatever else we can put together to make it toasty. We are also planning on putting a cat door into our garage, which is heated to 50F all winter. 

I continue to feel conflicted about having two classes of cat here (barn cats and the indoor crew) but among other things, we desperately need continued rodent control in the barn. And six cats indoors is about all I can handle. We've achieved a delicate balance with those six and I'd like to keep them happy!

That said, Missy and Redford seem to be enjoying life out there and we make a point of giving them love and attention (and two square meals!) every day. I told Gordon we'll need to make a "cuddle chart "to make sure all 10 cats get some love each day. :) Not to mention the dog and pigs and whoever else is around!

Hmmm... I guess I should add Gordon to the "cuddle chart'!

Speaking of cuddles, Louise has been getting her turn as I type this.


Pictures of the new additions to follow after they arrive on Friday!

PS A little word of thanks to my hubby Gordon, who helps make these things happen. Love you, sweetie!




27 comments:

  1. They look like a couple of cuties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw - love this post. Thank you so much, Natalie and Gordon. You guys are the best. I hope they settle in quickly and easily. They are two very lucky cats. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a big relief for their owner. I'm thinking Redford can just retire and let his harem take care of the mice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just read the news over on Deb's blog...HURRAH!!!! You two are the greatest. When we lived in Illinois we had indoor kitties and barn cats, and both seemed quite happy with the arrangement. The barn boys would occasionally come in for a nap or a lap, but they preferred to be in "their" territory, outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When a new cat arrives, the heart expands."
    Jane's Law.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that somebody takes in the unfortunates who lose their home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a kind soul Natalie.....love how you care for all these animals that cross your path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have SUCKER stamped on my forehead! :)

      Delete
  8. Go and stand in front of a mirror and practice saying 'no'. I can see you becoming swamped by cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an end goal in mind: 13, a baker's dozen. Six inside cats, seven barn cats. I'm hoping to conclude this sage sometime in late November! :)

      Delete
  9. You guys are the best.....=^..^= If I ever get turned out from my house I'll know where to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found you through the delightful Debs. I love that you have a big heart and can help these two mousers find their forever home together. I'm sure it is such a comfort to their loving owner. Look forward to reading more about your companions, new and old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natalie and Gordon, you are the best cat lover ever from Herman and Dutch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Mootie came from the same place as Dutch!

      Delete
  12. I KNEW it was you when I read Deb's post! Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got some real beauties coming!
    And don't worry about second-class kitties... we all know those barn cats are going to be just as spoiled as the indies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to meet them both on Friday!

      Delete
  14. They are cuties!
    I am sure they will be very happy!
    Natalie....you are my 100th follower!!!
    And...on my blogaversary too!!
    Welcome.....

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Mootie and Pip are two lucky kitties! I hope Missy is still doing well.
    I look forward to reading about all the adventures of the growing clan :-)
    doo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy is doing well and bonding with Redford. I need to get some photos!

      Delete
  16. My daughter has indoor and barn cats at her farm. They all are happy in their own worlds. The barn cats tend to sleep in the loft in the hay and the cold weather doesn't bother them at all. Of course, she feeds them and they get lots of cuddling from her six kids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a kick when I was reading Deb's blog and wondered - and then realized - she was talking about you!
    So funny when our blog worlds run into one another!
    I think you should run tours so all your blog fans can visit all your residents that we've fallen in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bless your heart! And Gordon's heart too! I'm so happy for the cats, and for you, and for Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you and Gordon could provide these sweeties with a loving place to live ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. You and Gordon are a marvel and an amazing team.

    I wouldn't worry about the two classes of cats. Your barn cats have an equally good life and are just as loved. Just think of them as the country cats and the city cats.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!